The Future Ready Framework
Personalized Student Learning: A Future Ready Vision
Personalized learning is a student-centered approach designed to help all students develop a set of skills collectively known as the deeper learning competencies. These skills include thinking critically, using knowledge and information to solve complex problems, working collaboratively, communicating effectively, learning how to learn, and developing academic mindsets.
Under a personalized learning approach, teachers, school staff and, as appropriate, other adults:
- develop caring and trusting relationships with their students, who, because of these relationships, are more engaged in their education and put more effort into their school work;
- connect the curriculum to students’ interests, strengths, and aspirations;
- provide students with tools to monitor their progress in mastering critical knowledge and skills, enabling them to take greater ownership of their learning;
- provide students with targeted instruction, practice, and support in areas where they are struggling, while ensuring they learn challenging academic content and skills;
- create more flexible learning environments, incorporating multiple instructional approaches and the effective use of technology; and
- connect learning to real-world applications.